Sam became blind when he was neutered. His heart stopped on the table and it took them 8-10 minutes to get his heart going again (this was told me to by the vet)… the results were blindness and brain damage.
His owners decided to dump him a year later with the excuse that they could not give him a stable home (they are military and move a lot) and the excuse that their daughter might be allergic to cats. EXCUSE ME?? They kept their other cat. Sam had not seen a vet since he was neutered so he was not up to date on shots or anything. I made the owner get him current on all shots and combo test him before I would take him. I suspect the real reason is because he has serious litterbox issues. He won't use one. With his brain damage I suspect he just does not have a clue that he is supposed to use it. Thank goodness for bleach and paper towels!
The first week with Sam was horrible!! He is terrified beyond belief and has done nothing but tried to hurt us. If I didn’t know better I would say he is a feral cat.
2 weeks later: He is very friendly and loves to be pet, but then for no reason flips out and comes at you with claws. We and the other cats tread lightly around him.
11/23/2011 Sam had been diagnosed with mouth cancer a couple months ago. Monday I took him to the vet because his face was swollen. The cancer had progressed at an alarming rate and had erupted in a huge open sore. Because he was still eating and not appearing to be in pain we hoped to give him a few more days. We are having an open house on Saturday and I wanted him to enjoy one more day of people loving on him. That was not to be. This morning he had not eaten his food from last night and was obviously in pain. I held him in my arms as he took his last breath.
Sam was an odd little fellow who had become a super friendly loving fellow. He would run around the room and then rub all over your legs. I will so miss this sweet loving fellow!
November 21, 2011 He had a feeding tube, we had cut down the cone because he could not eat with it but it kept him from scratching the tube out.